.

blending out of the connecticulture


 

Saturday, July 23, 2005

I'm feeling really good about my book right now, but when am I not? I'm feeling better than ever is a better statement.

I think it's because things are quiet. Real quiet. All that surface stuff, all the television and magazines and all of that is just dust settling in the basement of my life. We did some television, some photo shoots but it was all for other countries. Completely disconnected from my life.

We saw that German television piece and it was so awful. Melodramatic, corny--bad, bad, bad. It didn't even register that I saw it. I think I probably cooked breakfast afterward and the breakfast was more important and memorable. It was probably eggs. There might have been turkey bacon.

Some magazines came out here in America with stories and photos, but old photos and no interviews and I didn't even know they were coming out until they were sitting on the counter. I looked at them and said, "Oh. There's us again." Then I probably cooked a breakfast afterward that was more important and memorable. My breakfasts are usually two eggs over easy. Most of the time, cheese melted on top. Sometimes, I put a piece of ham and Bold and Spicy mustard on top of one egg and sandwich it between two brown rice waffles that are more savory than sweet and perfect for a wheat-free egg sandwich.

Recently, I've been eating corn flakes with one packet of Equal and unsweetened soy milk. My father has all these appearances coming up, but I don't know much about them. He just opened a catering business in Westport. Other than that, I don't know of anything else that's happening.

I turn the coffee pot on when Elise gets into the shower for work. I have never counted the scoops of coffee grounds that I use and every time I make coffee I am confused as to how much is too much. The coffee comes out perfect or far too strong, but never weak. If it ever came out weak, I'd probably take the time to count scoops from then on. Also, the Food Network show airs only twice a week now instead of four. This is because they still haven't filmed a third season and the repeats are getting tedious to viewers, for sure. The big F, they never call us, but that's nothing new or anything. I put the eggs on when I hear Elise's hairdryer turn off.

I always thought I'd be scared of a gas range, but I love it. The pan gets so hot so fast! This blog used to get around 200 hits a day, now it's down to less than 75. Like I said--dust settling.

I've been going over old fan emails, old instant message conversations, old forum threads for inclusion in my book. I've realized that none of these conversations ever lead anywhere. The only real internet friends (oxymoron?) that I've made over the years were ones that share an interest in writing. They are the ones that I would love to talk over coffee with one day. As long as they don't mind that there's a fifty percent chance of it brewing strong.

All fan-mail I get now, it's all related to my writing. I couldn't be happier.

Like I said, I'm feeling really good about my book. Because I can go into that basement anytime I want. I can sweep all that needs to be swept and I can put that on the page. My weight loss, my body issues--those are all down there too. And when that's all swept up, think of how clean things will be!

Elise and I will be living in Florida, we'll have our own place, our own things. I'll have a book. With that and co-authoring my father's book. With Ribcage and whatever I do next, I'll have something of a writing career. And I couldn't be happier.